This SPIO Shirt provides single-layer compression to the arms and trunk. It's best suited for children with primary sensory awareness deficits and improves fine motor control. SPIO is a highly flexible bracing system made from a specialized multi-directional stretch. The Lycra-like blend of material has excellent rebound and memory so that it returns to its original shape.
It is machine washable in mild detergent and can be hung to dry overnight. SPIO’s patented compression ratios provide a multi-directional and steady stretch tension directly to the skin and indirectly to the internal soft tissue structures. This precise compression around and toward the midline of the body provides accurate and usable deep pressure sensory information to the child’s proprioceptive feedback system, resulting in improved positional limb and body awareness, improved core muscle and joint stabilization, and increased precision of muscle activation and movement.
Assists with primary awareness deficits in upper extremity and trunk
Positive impact on shoulder/arm stability and function
Can be combined with pants or unitard to provide double layer compression to the shoulder, trunk, hips, and pelvis while providing single layer compression to the arms and legs.
SPIO shirts are standard single layer
3.5" long hook and loop back neck closure (optional full back hook and loop closure)
Comes standard with long sleeves to provide complete coverage of arms to wrist
Designed to fit snug over hips
Information about SPIO Shirts:
- SPIO™ is made of a patented Lycra-like blend of fabric. It has a unique multi-directional stretch which provides an enhanced rebound and "spring back" effect. SPIO™ does not contain Latex components. Other features of SPIO™ are:
- Easy to use. SPIO™ is easy to put on and adjustments are quick and minimal.
- Affordable. Parents find it helpful to have two sets of systems for laundering. Because insurance will not typically cover two sets, we adjusted our prices to make them out-of-pocket friendly.
- Can be worn under clothes. SPIO™ is not bulky and can be worn discretely under clothing or fashionably by itself.
- Comfortable. The lightweight and breathable fabric blend feels soft and cool against the skin while providing an intimate fit that moves with the child.
- No break-in period. From the moment you receive your SPIO™, your child can begin wearing it all day. They may not want to take it off!
- Allows for growth. SPIO™ systems allow a 25% growth. If properly taken care of your SPIO will last for years.
The use of any compression-type orthotic system such as SPIO™ should be discussed with your clinician prior to using.