DetailsGreat for shape recognition, matching skills and improving dexterity, this 12-piece Wooden Shape-Sorting Cube is the ultimate shape sorter with 12 chunky, vibrant shapes that make a satisfying clunk as they drop into the hardwood cube! Then open the lid, take them out, and start all over again!
- Great for shape recognition, matching skills and improving dexterity
- Includes 12 colorful, chunky wood shapes and 3-D hardwood cube with lid
Melissa & Doug Shape Sorting Cube Specifications:
- Dimensions: approximately 5.5 x 5.5 in.
- Hardwood construction
- 12 wooden blocks in various shapes and colors
Additional InformationThere is no additional info available.
Customer Reviews 5 item(s)
- My daughter has warmed to this toy over time. It's not a huge favorite, but she finds it challenging and interesting, and she's learned a *lot* more from it than she did from the simple plastic shape sorter she got bored with. One of the things I really like about this toy is that it's not just about the One Right Answer. My daughter (now 2-1/2) experiments with different ways to insert the same shape, and learns something about generic versus specific solutions. There is much value in the notion that only the star can go through the star-shaped hole, but the star and many other blocks can pass through the rectangular one. Similarly, the fact that the lid can fall off used to annoy her. But it also taught her to adapt to it, and now she either holds the lid on or turns the box in such a way as to not drop it off. I admit she found this toy frustrating early on. But it is one of those toys that she revisits every few months, and she plays with it differently over time. Her "plain" shape sorter was a good first lesson for her, but it doesn't have anything new to offer once she figured out how to get the three different shapes into the three different holes. This toy has a lot more to offer over time.
- I bought this shape sorter for my son this past August when he was almost 2 1/2. He's been using it now for around 8 months and we've had no problems. Our lid is sturdy, doesn't fall off under regular use (unless you tip the box), no paint has come off the shapes, and only the correct shapes fit in the holes. We've now had this sorter for two more years and now have another child playing with it. The edges of some shapes are showing a little wear, but no chipped paint or any other issues. Our 18 month old is sorting the simpler shapes and stacking them like blocks. We still love it!
- I purchased this for my grandson who has all the "noisy" toys a child could ever need. This item was purchased to help him focus on fine motor skills without the competition of distraction. The product is colorful and well made - sturdy enough to take years of toddler wear and tear. The only negative is that the top isn't attached with a hinge, so parents have to keep track of the shapes inside. I highly recommend this item.
- In order to fix the lid issue coming off, go to the store, buy some stick-on velcro and cut two small pieces to fit on two of the sides of the lid. This fixed the problem and the shape-sorter works great. I would really recommend this toy. I know you now have the "hassel" of putting on the velcro, but it takes no time, and completely takes away the frustration of having the lid fall off, thus making this a great toy.
- My 19-month-old daughter LOVES this toy at her grandmother's house! The problem with the lid coming off was EASILY remedied by applying stick-on velcro to two of the tabs on the lid. My little girl got quickly bored with the four-shape plastic shape sorter. I have been amazed at how quickly she has learned the names of the shapes and where they go. I am recommending this toy to the other grandmother to have at her house!!