DetailsSPIO Pants provide single-layer compression from the lower ribcage to the calf or ankles. It has proven beneficial for children with spastic diplegia who demonstrate deficits in sensory awareness and stability. The pants can be combined with the vest or shirt for double and triple layer compression. SPIO is a highly flexible bracing system made from a specialized multi-directional stretch. The Lycra-like blend of material has excellent rebound and memory so that it returns to its original shape.It is machine washable in mild detergent and can be hung to dry overnight. SPIO’s patented compression ratios provide a multi-directional and steady stretch tension directly to the skin and indirectly to the internal soft tissue structures. This precise compression around and toward the midline of the body provides accurate and usable deep pressure sensory information to the child’s proprioceptive feedback system, resulting in improved positional limb and body awareness, improved core muscle and joint stabilization, and increased precision of muscle activation and movement.
Assists with primary sensory awareness deficits in lower extremity and lower trunk
Combine with vest to improve upright stability
Combine with shirt to improve full body sensory awareness
May benefit children and adults with spastic diplegia who demonstrate deficits in sensory awareness and stability
SPIO pants are standard single layer
Combined with shirt or vest will provide double or triple layer compression from the lower ribcage to the pelvis and hips designed with a higher back side to accommodate diapers
Can be trimmed below or above knee
Information about SPIO Pants:
- SPIO™ is made of a patented Lycra-like blend of fabric. It has a unique multi-directional stretch which provides an enhanced rebound and "spring back" effect. SPIO™ does not contain Latex components. Other features of SPIO™ are:
- Easy to use. SPIO™ is easy to put on and adjustments are quick and minimal.
- Affordable. Parents find it helpful to have two sets of systems for laundering. Because insurance will not typically cover two sets, we adjusted our prices to make them out-of-pocket friendly.
- Can be worn under clothes. SPIO™ is not bulky and can be worn discretely under clothing or fashionably by itself.
- Comfortable. The lightweight and breathable fabric blend feels soft and cool against the skin while providing an intimate fit that moves with the child.
- No break-in period. From the moment you receive your SPIO™, your child can begin wearing it all day. They may not want to take it off!
- Allows for growth. SPIO™ systems allow a 25% growth. If properly taken care of your SPIO will last for years.
**NOTE** The use of any compression-type orthotic system such as SPIO™ should be discussed with your clinician prior to using.
SPIO Pants Specifications:
- Measure each child according to the Sizing Guidelines (see below) for a good fit, never select a size for your patient based on eye-balling the SPIO shirt.
- You should be able to place your hand between the child’s body (in the trunk area) and SPIO and feel significant resistance when you pull your hand away from the child’s body. Approximately an inch resistance is adequate. More and it’s too loose, less and it’s too tight.
- When donning the shirt, make sure you have the sleeves turned properly so they are not twisted. This can cause a bad fit in the armpit area.
- When you receive the SPIO try it on first before you decide it’s too small. It will look too small, but may not be. If it is the same size as the child’s regular t-shirt, it is too big and you are not getting any compression.
- After donning the SPIO, watch the child’s reaction to the SPIO. If they get red marks under their arms, or on their skin at the sides, it may be too small and you will want to exchange the SPIO for next larger size.
If the inside seams irritate the patient, you may turn the SPIO inside out. This does not include unitards or vests.
Size Waist (Measure at belly button) Length P41 41cm/16" 38.25cm/15.1" P43 43cm/16.9" 40.33cm/15.9" P45 45cm/17.7" 45cm/17.7" P47 47cm/18.5" 47.95cm/18.9" P49 49cm/19.3" 49.8cm/19.6" P51 51cm/20.1" 52.7cm/20.7" P53 53cm/20.9" 56.84cm/22.4" P55 55cm/21.7" 63.19cm/24.9" P57 57cm/22.4" 66.6cm/26.2" P59 59cm/23.2" 70.04cm/27.6" P61 61cm/24" 71.7cm/28.2" P63 63cm/24.8" 77.8cm/30.6" P65 65cm/25.6" 79.3cm/31.2" P67 67cm/26.4" 81.7cm/32.2" P69 69cm/27.2" 83.2cm/32.8"
- Measurements are taken with patient lying down
- Measurements are taken in centimeters
- If measurement is between sizes, round up in size for growth
- High tone children may need smaller size
Frequently Asked Questions:What are the SPIO Pants made of?SPIO is made of a patented Lycra-like blend of fabric. It has a unique multi-directional stretch which provides an enhanced rebound and "spring back" effect. SPIO does not contain Latex components.
Who does SPIO benefit?The SPIO™ system appears to be most beneficial for those children who exhibit a primary or secondary sensory deficit which is impairing dynamic stability, postural activation, and movement control. We have found SPIO™ to be most helpful for children with:
Moderate to severe hypotonia, particularly axial hypotonia
Deficits in dynamic stabilization, tone fluctuations, and unpredictable movement control from dyskinesia
Moderate-to-severe hypertonia that is compensatory for poor deep sensation
Calming and organizing difficulties
Whole body sensory awareness deficits sensory integration challenges
It is also typical to see improved respiratory function in children wearing a SPIO™, including decreased respiration rate, larger and more fluid ribcage expansion, improved rhythm of breathing, and an increased ability to independently cough. Most likely, abdominal compression improves the bio mechanics of the diaphragm resulting in these findings.
For the best outcome, great care must be exercised in the selection and utilization of SPIO™ for specific individuals. Testing the potential benefit of a SPIO™ can be done easily by using elastic wraps to acquire the motor response to increased deep pressure input.